Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Evie's Wordy Wednesdays
Writing Experience--Revealing Colors

Dreams tell the secrets.

Autumn Graves has been psychic for as long as she can remember. She sees auras. She has premonitions. And she wasn’t alone.
Autumn’s mother was the same. She saw the same auras. Her dreams were also premonitions. But, she had one gift Autumn doesn’t. She saw ghosts. Everyone called her crazy and until recently, Autumn’s mother protected her,, until she couldn’t live anymore.
After her mother’s suicide, Autumn’s father moves the family to a small Maine town to live with her mother’s sister. It’s here that Autumn is introduced to her psychic grandmother and her cousin, Brandon, who knows all about her gifts.
When Autumn starts seeing blurry figures and having strange premonitions, she and Brandon begin to search for an answer and find themselves unraveling secrets that were to remain buried in this strange small town forever.

As you've learn from my ghost post, I've always been fascinated by ghosts, so as soon as the idea for Revealing Colors came into my head, I ran with it. 

No, the book isn't an old-fashioned ghost story, like you know I love, but it also incorporates other paranormal elements that I enjoy reading and learning about. Autumn's psychic, sees auras, and has premonitions. Auras has been something that has interested me since I was young, and I've always wanted to have a premonition. So with three of my favorite elements all in one story, Revealing Colors has been one of my favorite writing experiences. 

When I set down to write Revealing Colors, I had only the story and my main character, Autumn, running through my head. I knew the elements, but how I was going to incorporate them in an original way was where I stumbled. There are many other books that deal with psychic main characters, and I needed to make not only my plot, but my characters and the paranormal elements stand out. 

To avoid spoiling the book, I'll only say that I added twists to my paranormal elements. I used plot points to give meaning to each element. Autumn's gifts have a plot to themselves even, each for a purpose and not just because I like them. Writing Revealing Colors taught me how to expand on popular paranormal elements and make them unique. Exploring what doesn't happen (or maybe it does; I'm not too opposed to the thought) in real life in regards to ghosts and psychics was a great experience and I can't wait to return to Autumn's world with the sequel. 

Over to you! Have a paranormal writing experience you'd like to share? 

3 comments:

Andromeda/brokenbone95 said...

Right now, I'm writing a paranormal first chapter that I can submit, just cause it gives me an excuse to write paranormal. But, I'm having a hard time getting the creepy element I want.

Something I've found (with me at least) is that when the ghost is, or was, a child, it's a heck of a lot scarier. I don't exactly know why, it just is...

~Andromeda~

Serena said...

Nice post, Evie! Right now, I'm working on a traditional paranormal story called Whisper. I only have the main character and the basic plot outline down, so I need to work on the subplots a little bit.
I want to try and avoid a romance, because I really want to stick to the original paranormal aspect. But I have NO idea for subplots.
Do you have any ideas or anything to help me??
I would really appreciate any thoughts!
xoxo
Serena

Evie Jay said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

@Andromeda: Kid ghosts are creepy. *shivers*

@Serena: A relationship is needed. It doesn't have to be a romance one. It can be between friends or siblings or cousins (I have the cousin relationship in Revealing Colors). You could have a sub-plot with friends where they maybe fight over something. Or maybe there's something your MC has to deal with in her personal/school life. I don't know your plot or story, so I can't really tell you what would be best. A lot of the time, sub-plots make themselves known as you write.