Friday, January 28, 2011

Hey y'all, I'm Laura! I'm here today to ask y'all's questions!


What first got you into writing? Was there anything that sparked your curiosity?
I've always been a reader, as long as I can remember. And I'm an actor. I used to have these elaborate little movie ideas about spies and secret agents. In eight grade I bought this little green notebook, which I still have, torn and tattered, and wrote this murder scene one day, bored in science. It ended up being the prologue to not a spy book, but an assassin book. The Assassin, which is probably my best known work out there. 

What is your favorite genre to write and why? 

Mystery. Without a doubt. I just get so caught up in those things that always make you go "Woah! Didn't see that coming!" I love being able to unravel mysteries in my books. Mysteries are just intriguing and I love being able to write about a murder and having to have the reader solve it. 

What gives you your inspiration? Do ideas just pop into your head, or do you sit down and focus before getting a great idea? 

I can grab inspiration from practically anything. It's almost pathetic in a way. I'll walk my dog and look at a weird rock and be like "what if someone was murdered on that rock?" Needless to say, stuff like that I often dismiss, but I get inspiration and thinking time on my walks with my dog, in the shower, on the bus, driving around town. You name it, I've probably been inspired while doing it.


What's the main reason you love reading/writing? 
I love getting swept away out of reality. I love being able to relate to characters, to feel their emotions, the heartbreak, the anger, the agony. 

Do you plan out the plot and characters of your stories before writing? Or do you improvise and write as you go?

I always just wrote, while doing mental outlining and plotting, and then I wrote Snatched, for NaNoWriMo, I outlined. And now, I don't want to write anything without outlining. So I guess a bit of both really. 

What’s your favorite cheese? 

ICK! I hate cheese! I'll eat it on pizza, and a couple other things, but that's it.

What are some things you love about living in Texas? Things you hate?

Texas is my home, I've lived in the same town my whole life. I love the landscape, and the heat in the summer. I hate the cold in the winter. I hate the steryotype people have of Texas. No, I do not ride a horse to school, no, it is not always 110 degrees, and yes. I do use the term "y'all." And "all y'all."

Computer or paper?

Both. I write on paper at school, and it gives me times to write scenes that I wouldn't want to write on the computer, but the computer is so much faster! So, I can't really choose, because writing on the computer is what gets me out there and noticed, but writing on paper is kind of therapeutic for me. 

Favorite Animal?

Elephant! And yes, Evie says that she loved them first, but here's the thing. She says she's loved them since she was two? I wasn't even born when she was two! So, I think that's a stupid excuse, I can't help being born after her!!

7 comments:

Evie Jay said...

You're just jealous because I've liked them longer! IN YOUR FACE!!!

:) Love you!!! <3

Evie Jay said...

I say "all y'all" too!

Anonymous said...

Winter! Ha! *drowns in snowdrift taller than me*

Savannah Jean said...

Yayyyyayay another NaNoWriMo person!!!!
I think you guys should do some NaNo themed posts this November!

~Savannah <3

Marisa said...

Woo Laura!

Arianna said...

Girl, I'm from Texas too!!!

Lindsey Richardson said...

Laura! *tackles* Sorry I missed a chance to add in questions, but I read this post anyways.

Always,
Lindsey